- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Google+ combined have over 2 billion registered users.
- 72% of all internet users are active on social media.
- 47% of Americans say Facebook is their #1 influencer of purchases
- 70% of marketers used Facebook to gain new customers
Here are some tips to help you make sure you are getting the most out social media as you look to grow your network and build relationships:
1. Establish your online profile - Every career professional, aspiring business owner, blogger or speaker should have these online profiles:
- Professional LinkedIn profile
- Facebook Fan page
- Twitter profile – personal and professional
- Google Plus
- About.Me page
2. Making the right connections - It’s easy to start adding your friends from high school, co workers, etc. but think about using social media for networking and make sure you find the right people you need to get connected with to advance you to your next level.
Reach out and follow people who are already doing what you want to do or maybe even on your same level doing the same thing you are doing. On LinkedIn you can do a simple search for leaders in your industry or specific companies. Trending topics and hashtags on Twitter allow you to connect with people who may share your similar interests or potential clients/customers.
3. Join Online Communities - Joining online communities like Facebook and LinkedIn groups allow you to interact and connect with others that may lead to great networking opportunities. Don’t be afraid to promote yourself and your events within these groups. You have to share with people who you are and what you have to offer to increase your visibility and networking opportunities. Online communities like Meetup.com allow you to take an online relationship offline, increasing your probability to cultivate long lasting relationships.