Through this series I will share some lessons learned from my own blogging journey and tips on the various ways you can monetize your blog into a bankable brand.
Part II: “Connect and Grow”
Social Media is a very powerful tool that allows you to connect with millions of people on a daily basis!
If you are really serious about the desire to monetize your blog you need to make your blog more visible by growing your following and building your digital community.
Here are a few simple tips to get you started:
1. Stay Active on Social Media - When was the last time you tweeted? Do you engage with your Facebook fans on a weekly or daily basis? Are you interacting on Instagram?
I’m amazed at the number of people who blog whether for a hobby or business who are not engaged on a regular basis with their social media accounts. I don’t suggest you sit on Facebook all day, actually quite the opposite. Utilize scheduling tools like Hoot Suite or Buffer to schedule tweets, a question of the day or some recent articles you found interesting.
Or try these steps:
- Join Facebook Groups to interact with others in the blogging community
- Leave comments on some of your favorite blogs often (ask them to return the favor)
- Share and tag post from popular bloggers (they may RT or return the favor!)
Do you have a bunch of ideas for blog post but can’t find the time? Create a blog calendar and jot down all your ideas and schedule the dates they will post. It’s not enough to just save them in your “drafts” folder.
Whether you decide to blog every day, bi weekly or just once a month have a plan and be consistent.
For my travel blog I always blog on Tuesdays. Why? Because #traveltuesday trends and I am able to tag my post with the trending topics. I ALWAYS pick up new followers who were searching the hashtag and came across my post. Also my readers know that on Tuesdays around 11:30 they will see a post in their email or come across my Facebook fan page! When I go M.I.A. they notice it!
3. Become a contributor - To increase your exposure you can also contribute your writing to other blogs and websites. Bloggers are often looking for guest bloggers to cover for them when they vacation, take a “blog break” or just want to share knowledge from someone on a different topic. I’m not a fashionista so when I wanted to do a post on chic travel fashion I enlisted the help of another blogger.
When I joined Six Brown Chicks as a correspondent in 2013 it exposed me and my blog to a whole new audience and opened up the doors to a number of many amazing opportunities!
Find other bloggers, media outlets you admire or follow and ask if you can contribute.
Brands are looking to partner with and compensate bloggers who have influence. The more fans and followers you have the greater your influence!
Stay tuned next month for Part III.
Ready to start a blog? Need help establishing your online brand?
I’m launching the first in a series of workshops focused on branding, social media and networking.
Reserve your spot here for March 22nd. More details to follow!
Are you on my mailing list? Join my monthly newsletter list here